HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  Twitter Feed  

Share | 

Bela Nombre Public Library

Go down 
AuthorMessage
AvantGarde
Admin

PostSubject: Bela Nombre Public Library   Sat May 24, 2008 4:40 am

The Bela Nombre Public Library is located in the main square of the town, across the street and to the left of the Courthouse. It is a large, red-brick building with two stories, built in 1922. It is a cheery-looking building, with big windows and a large front porch that is perfect for reading. In fact, it looks almost like a house, leading to the slight confusion of newcomers and visitors.

Inside, the first thing you see is the circulation desk. It is one of two places where patrons can check out books, get a card (there is no fee for getting or replacing a library card, but the patron must at least be in the first grade), and pay their late fees (five cents a day)--the other being upstairs. It is large and contains a computer, a cash register (for late fees), and usually a vase or two of flowers. Also located on it is the 'old-fashioned' means of checking out books--you'll find no receipts at the library here. Instead, the due date for each book is stamped onto the card on the inside cover. The stamp and ink is always close by. Taped to the desk are fliers for various library events, more of which can be found on the bulletin board by the doorway.

The first floor contains the fiction and non-fiction sections, as well as the periodical room. There is a bank of about five computers available for patron use along the far wall between the fiction and non-fiction sections. There are also two computers that contain the library card catalog, one on each side of the library. There, patrons can search the contents of the library, although most of them prefer to either look themselves or ask the librarian.

Upstairs is the children's and teen's sections, and the small audiovisual section. There is another circulation desk, although this one is much smaller and, instead of advertising library activities, proudly displays children's artwork. There is also a small activity room in the children's section.

At the Bela Nombre Public Library, the citizens of Bela Nombre can escape into the world of a book. But be careful, because some things are stranger than fiction...

OOC | Twitter | Profile
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://belanombre.gratisforo.net
Michelle_Bradford

PostSubject: Re: Bela Nombre Public Library   Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:55 am

Juliet Eco

Juliet had to open both of the French doors in order to get her
wagon inside. It was wooden and old and had nothing on the shiny red
one she owned back in Chicago, but it would have to do. She unsheathed
her mums new library card (just bought yesterday) and marched through
the aisles.

Quickly but gently she threw any interesting looking book onto her
already tall stack. No epic tale nor sappy romance novel escaped her ever
watchful eye. Juliet even went through the historic section, adding a
few decent sized books for her dad. She soon came to the stairs and,
realizing that there would be no way to get up the stairs, quit her
search for the day.
The lady at the desk turned the same colour as Juliet's shoes: Reddish pink, and slightly dirty. Once Juliet reached the desk, Molly asploded. Juliet knew her name was Molly because she wore a name tag, and name tags never lied.
"No wheels in the library! You are killing my carpet!" Juliet ignored her and started putting the books on the counter.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Phantom of Paris

PostSubject: Re: Bela Nombre Public Library   Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:13 am

Ruby Gehringer

Ruby struggled to see over her tower of books as she cautiously made her way down the stairs of the Bela Nombre Public Library. The fact that she was wearing her Renaissance Fair skirts didn't help, as the fabric liked to get tangled and twisted and trip her up. Today's stash of books was pretty good---included in her pile were The Book Thief, Frankenstein, Crime and Punishment, and Blood and Chocolate. She completed her journey down the stairs and turned to make her way towards the circulation desk, where she knew her mother would be working.

Sure enough, Ruby heard Molly Gehringer's voice ring out through the otherwise silent library. "No wheels in the library! You are killing my carpet!" she cried angrily. Ruby looked over towards the desk with interest--her mother traditionally tried to keep up with library custom, that is, not screaming at patrons. She was met with a strange sight--her mother glaring at a new girl who was towing a old, wooden wagon behind her. With her dirty red sneakers, jeans, and green hoodie, she would look like any other normal Bela Nombre teen except for one thing--the black hat she wore. Are those...cat ears? Ruby thought, amused. So they were. A pair of cat ears was perched atop the hat.

The girl ignored her and began to stack her books on the counter. Ruby, both intrigued and amused by the girl and her indifference, decided to rescue her from the terror that was Mrs. Molly Gehringer.

"Hey, give her a break, Ma," she said, striding over to the counter. "She needs a way to get her books home, right?"

Molly looked skeptical. "But couldn't she leave it outside? Just look at this place! This is a library, not a circus!" She sighed. "Well, maybe you're right, Roo..."

Ruby winced at the use of her mother's pet name for her. "Ruby, Mother. Ruby." She rolled her eyes and smiled at the girl. "Hi. I'm Ruby Gehringer, and I see you've met my mom...." she grinned. "Love the hat."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Michelle_Bradford

PostSubject: Re: Bela Nombre Public Library   Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:54 am

OOC: Juliet's hat looks like this

BIC

Juliet Eco

Juliet continued to place the books on the counter, until the wagon was empty. She sighed. This would be so much easier in Chicago, were everyone was always to busy to notice magic. Here she had to use her arms, instead of letting the books stack themselves.

"Hey, give her a break, Ma," said a girl who seemingly came out of no where. At first, it seemed to Juliet that the girl had stepped out of one of the old books. What, with her corset and skirts. She knew better, however, because the corset was over her shirt, and the skirt looked rather petticoat-esk. "She needs a way to get her books home, right?" Who ever the girl was, she appeared to be on her side.

Molly thought for a second. "But couldn't she leave it outside? Just look at this place! This is a library, not a circus! Well, maybe you're right, Roo..." she took Juliets card, scanned it, and started stamping the books.

"Ruby, Mother. Ruby." the girl (Ruby, was it?) corrected. Roo was obviously some sort of nickname. Juliet put that in her pocket for later, if needed. "Hi. I'm Ruby Gehringer, and I see you've met my mom...."

"So I heard. Nice to meet ya, im Eco. Juliet Eco." she hummed a few notes from the James Bond theme as she offered her hand to Ruby.

"Love the hat." Roo said grinning. Juliet nodded and slicked back one of the ears. "Thanks. Made it myself. I have a few mangled attempts packed away somewhere, if you want one." She took it off and flipped it around in her hands while humming some unknown tune.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Phantom of Paris

PostSubject: Re: Bela Nombre Public Library   Sun Jun 15, 2008 6:07 am

Ruby Gehringer

"So I heard. Nice to meet ya, I'm Eco. Juliet Eco." Juliet offered her hand for Ruby to shake as she hummed something. It took Ruby a moment to realize that it was the theme from James Bond. She laughed. "Nice. Sean Connery rocks, doesn't he?"

Ruby complimented Juliet on her eccentric choice in hats, noting the cat-eared hat she wore on top of her brown hair. Juliet nodded, reaching up to touch one of the ears. "Thanks," she said, taking off the hat and turning it over in her hands. "Made it myself. I have a few mangled attempts packed away somewhere, if you want one."

Ruby's eyes widened a bit, and she grinned. "Kudos for that!" she said. "A fellow do-it-yourself person, I see...and hopefully another sewing enthusiast? I made these," she said, spreading out the fabric so Juliet could see her yellow underskirt and blue overskirt more clearly. "Unfortunately, making your own garb doesn't get as much appreciation around here as it should."

Her mother looked up from stamping Juliet's books. "I think your stuff is awesome, Roo!" she said excitedly. "Your little costumes and dresses and all that. You're so good with a needle!" Ruby rolled her eyes. Shut up, Mother. Now, please. "Ruby especially likes Medieval clothes, don't you, Roo? She goes to Renaissance Faires all the time, and she loves things like Lord of the Rings. Beautiful books, by the way. I see you've got one here..."

Ruby whirled around and snatched the book Molly indicated. "Sweet! Children of Húrin! It's awesome. Not as good as the trilogy, though." She looked up at Juliet with a hopeful expression on her face. "Are you a fellow Tolkien-ite, too?" If she is, there is no way we aren't becoming friends.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
theaudience

PostSubject: Re: Bela Nombre Public Library   Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:54 am

Dean DelCassidy

Dean opened the doors of the library to be met by a front desk and shelves of books one after the other. Another day at the library to quickly pass time as he couldn't find anything else to do since he just moved to the town of Bela Nombre. He continued to walk past the bookshelves until he reached the one he planned to read today.

He walked past aisles of books passing all genres, biographies, romance, even instructional books until he decided on one.

Mystery books. He always loved a good mystery. Dean decided to grab a random book not knowing where to start, so he bent down to grab one off the lower shelf. He read the cover saying The Brethren

Never heard of it, but he was still willing to read it. He chose a table to sit down at and took off his bag he carried with him everywhere and got comfortable before he began to read quietly not noticing anyone around him.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Michelle_Bradford

PostSubject: Re: Bela Nombre Public Library   Sat Aug 02, 2008 12:39 pm

Juliet Eco

They exchanged names, Juliet hummed, Ruby commented on the tune and her hat. The usual routine. As Juliet offered one of her failures commonly called "hats", Ruby's eyes widened in amazement, or perhaps fear. It was amazement, Juliet decided, because Ruby was grinning and started talking the second Juliet stopped.

"Kudos for that! A fellow do-it-yourself person, I see..." Juliet laughed. hardly."and hopefully another sewing enthusiast?I made these," She showed Juliet her skirts, which made her laugh.

"Whoa are you trying to seduce me?"
She joked. The way Ruby was dressed did not match her actions.

"Unfortunately, making your own garb doesn't get as much appreciation around here as it should." Juliet nodded and agreement, and nearly said something, but Molly decided to talk, instead of continuing dropping the eaves.

"I think your stuff is awesome, Roo! Your little costumes and dresses and all that. You're so good with a needle!" Juliet giggled and stole a look at Ruby, who was rolling her eyes like any good teenager would. "Ruby especially likes Medieval clothes, don't you, Roo? She goes to Renaissance Fairs all the time, and she loves things like Lord of the Rings. Beautiful books, by the way. I see you've got one here..." She held up a copy of Children of Húrin.

At this, Ruby attacked her mother, wrestled away the poor book and exclamed "Sweet! Children of Húran! It's awesome. Not as good as the trilogy, though. Are you a fellow Tolken-ite, too?"

Juliet kept her face completely straight as she looked at the cover of the book. "Tolkien...Tolkien... Where have I heard that before?" Of course she was joking. Of course she had a whole bookshelf dedicated to every work of Tolkien ever made (and she was running out of room on her other shelves.) But she had to see this girls, Roo's, reaction.

Last edited by Michelle_Bradford on Sat Aug 02, 2008 3:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Phantom of Paris

PostSubject: Re: Bela Nombre Public Library   Sat Aug 02, 2008 2:13 pm

Ruby Gehringer

"Whoa are you trying to seduce me?" Juliet joked. Ruby laughed. "Scandalous! What ever am I thinking? How horrible--I'm showing the world my ankles!" Molly gave her daughter a puzzled look, but Ruby waved her away. "It's a Victorian thing, Mom. You wouldn't understand."

The conversation quickly returned to sewing, with Mrs. Gehringer interjecting her comments as usual, her voice bright and perky. She goes to Renaissance Fairs all the time, and she loves things like Lord of the Rings. Beautiful books, by the way. I see you've got one here..." She held up a copy of Tolkien's Children of Húrin, and Ruby pounced on it. "Sweet! Children of Húrin! " she cried, delighted. "It's awesome. Not as good as the trilogy, though. Are you a fellow Tolken-ite, too?"

Juliet's face remained emotionless as Ruby waited for a reply. You can answer now...okay, don't freak if she doesn't like it...such things can easily be changed...

"Tolkien...Tolkien... Where have I heard that before?"

Ruby's mouth dropped open, and her mother let out a small gasp. "You're...you're kidding, right? Please, please tell me you're kidding. I beg of you!"

Blair Vanderbilt walked by just then, swinging her curls in a way to make Molly notice her. It worked, and Molly immediately shushed the girls and finished stamping Juliet's books. Ruby glared in Blair's direction. "Sorry, Mom, she said to her mother, giving her a sweet smile so Blair knew what was going on. "We'll be quieter, I promise."

Last edited by The Phantom of Paris on Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kristin Chenoweth

PostSubject: Re: Bela Nombre Public Library   Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:06 pm

Blair Vanderbilt

Libraries weren't really her thing. It wasn't that she didn't like books - she was taking an AP English class and she had already read all the books on the curriculum; why wouldn't she? - it was that everything there was used. Blair just didn't like the idea of reading some random, dusty, old book. She preferred buying her books new. She had a library card, but she had only used it about twice. But she needed a couple of books for a project and they weren't in the nearest bookstore and there wasn't really enough time to order it off Amazon, so she was here.

She scrunched up her straight nose as she passed that Ruby girl with some random other girl who she didn't know and didn't really want to bother getting to know. Blair tossed her perfect, chocolate-colored curls with a sigh and started searching for the books - Candide, by Voltaire and Lolita (she was doing an extra credit project on banned books).

Blair was sort of digging the vibe here. It was all quiet and studious, except for Ruby and random other girl's laughter. Blair signaled to the librarian that Ruby and random other girl were being bothersome with a princess-like air, and the librarian glared at the girls and put her finger to her lips. "Ssshhh," she hissed to Ruby and her new playmate with a glare and then smiled at Blair. She smirked - being her mother's daughter was terrible, but it had its perks.

Now that Ruby and her new little friend had been shushed - although she doubted they would actually keep quiet (no one ever did) - she settled down on one of the tables with her books and started to read.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://z11.invisionfree.com/Ballantyne_Rankin
theaudience

PostSubject: Re: Bela Nombre Public Library   Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:23 am

Dean DelCassidy

Still in the middle of reading a book, Dean was interrupted by giggles and after a "Ssshhh," He looked up from his book to see a young girl in about her teens sit down with some books and started to read.

Not to be stereotypical, but she really didn't seem like the type to go to libraries to read very often. Even that, he had to admit that she was pretty.

Then he glanced at the two other females at the other table. The ones who were talking together quietly. They seemed to be pretty good friends.

As much as he really didn't want to look strange looking at random people, he went back to continue reading his book.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Michelle_Bradford

PostSubject: Re: Bela Nombre Public Library   Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:34 am

Juliet Echo

"Whoa! Are you trying to seduce me?" Juliet joked when Ruby showed off her petticoat.

"Scandalous! What ever am I thinking? How horrible--I'm showing the world my ankles! It's a Victorian thing, Mom. You wouldn't understand." The last part was directed at Molly, who had looked at the two of them weirdly. Their conversation quickly went from sewing to Children of Húrin! "Are you a fellow Tolkein-ite, too?"

This is where mad acting skills came in handy. She kept her face emotionless as she "recalled" whoever this "Tolkien" fellow was. Ruby's jaw dropped and she started to beg. You're...you're kidding, right? Please, please tell me you're kidding. I beg of you!"

She couldn't do it any more. "Oh, yes Tolkien, I remember... the guy who's books have a whole shelf reserved to themselves in my room." She grinned, letting Ruby in on the joke.

Suddenly, Ruby looked across the library where a girl stood, looking absolutely perfect. Juliet had to glare; she hated perfection. The girl walked by and swung her curls, which somehow made Molly shush her own daughter and fellow Tolkien enthusiast. Ruby glared, speaking loudly so little-miss-perfect could hear. [b]"Sorry, mom. We'll be quieter, I promise."

Juliet watched the girl browse, then turned to Ruby. "Who is that?" She tried not to let her hate stick out. She normally wasn't like this, as a rule she gave everybody a chance. But there was something about this girl that rubbed her the wrong way. Again she looked over her shoulder. "And what's her problem?"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Phantom of Paris

PostSubject: Re: Bela Nombre Public Library   Fri Oct 31, 2008 7:24 am

Ruby Gehringer

Ruby held her breath as she waited for Juliet to respond to her question about Tolkien. "Oh, yes Tolkien, I remember... the guy who's books have a whole shelf reserved to themselves in my room."

Ruby blinked, then burst out laughing. "Gosh, don't do that to me! I almost had a heart attack for a second there." Her mother rolled her eyes. Oh, come on, Mom. You of all people should know the importance of books.

Blair Vanderbilt chose that moment to walk by, giving Molly some sort of silent hint that made her shush Juliet and Ruby. Ruby apologized loudly. "Who is that? And what's her problem?" Juliet asked.

"That's Blair Vanderbilt," Ruby and her mom said at the same time. "She's a junior at Bela Nombre High, going to Yale, most popular girl in the history of forever, and not very nice either...but oh so entertaining."

"Ruby Marie Gehringer!" Molly scolded. "That's incredibly rude! Just give Blair a chance--she's a very sweet girl!"

Ruby rolled her eyes and smiled. "Sure, Ma. Maybe when Blair decides to give me a chance, I'll do the same to her. But since she keeps mercilessly antagonizing me, I'll stay away from her, thank you very much."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bela Nombre Public Library   

Back to top Go down

Bela Nombre Public Library
Page 1 of 1