Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  Twitter Feed  

The Hallways

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
AvantGarde
Admin
AvantGarde

The Hallways Empty
PostSubject: The Hallways   The Hallways EmptyMon May 19, 2008 5:56 am

The halls of Bela Nombre High School are long, narrow, and lined on either side with dark red lockers. The floors are the same red-blue-tan flecked tile, and the walls are a dull white that leaves little to the imagination and bears the evidence of daily abuse; where doors have been thrown open or slammed shut there are telltale cracks in the plaster, and along the base of each wall there run dozens of short, stubby scuff marks, permanently etched there after years of traffic.

The halls are usually quiet, but they are a popular place for hushed conversations during mundane classes. All you need is a single hall pass. . .
Back to top Go down
http://belanombre.gratisforo.net
Kristin Chenoweth

Kristin Chenoweth

The Hallways Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Hallways   The Hallways EmptySun May 25, 2008 3:53 pm

Blair Vanderbilt

She leaned against the wall of the hallway, glad to be alone at last. In the crowded lunchroom, she had had to answer countless of questions - and not even fun, easy-to-answer questions. And she had also overhead a few tidbits of gossip that were not only totally false, but downright humiliating, as well. Blair knew that nobody really believed that type of stuff, and she was sort of used to hearing that type of stuff around, but some of it cut too deep.

"I heard she's secretly dating this dude."

"I heard she lost it to him."

And even worse than the false gossip was the few tidbits of gossip that had some grain of truth in them...for they cut infinitely deeper.

"I heard that she's bulimic. My cousin heard her throwing up in the bathroom yesterday."

"I heard that she overdoses on Lexapro."

"I heard that it's because her mother doesn't love her."

Fortunately, though, there were many more people who were on her side as well, defending her from the mean, spiteful gossip.

"Why would she secretly date someone? She can do anything she wants."

"Are you kidding? Blair is so not a slut."

They even defended her against the true gossip...

"She is so skinny and confident. She is so not bulimic."

"Ew. Blair would never do that."

"Mrs. Vanderbilt is so not like that. I went over to Blair's and she was totally nice."

But no matter how many people were on her side, she still needed to be alone sometimes...and this was one of those times.
Back to top Go down
http://z11.invisionfree.com/Ballantyne_Rankin
The Phantom of Paris

The Phantom of Paris

The Hallways Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Hallways   The Hallways EmptyMon May 26, 2008 5:13 am

OOC: I'm having this as a different day than my cafeteria posts, okay? BIC:

Ruby Gehringer

The ability to read whilst walking is a rare gift, and Ruby was greatful to have it. It made school infinitely more interesting. She walked on, her nose buried in her well-worn copy of The Return of the King--her personal favorite in the Lord of the Rings trilogy. Her mind was absorbed in Pippin offering his service to Lord Denethor when she bumped into someone.

"Watch where you're going, you freak!" a girl cried. Ruby jumped and shut her book. "A thousand pardons, Mistress," she said, smiling. The girl looked at her like she had lobsters crawling out of her ears. "Freak," she repeated. Ruby rolled her eyes. "Typical. Can no one come up with an original insult these days? Tsk, tsk."

The girl glared at her. "Why don't you try wearing some clothes from this century?" she asked, obviously thinking herself very clever. Ruby laughed. Today, she was wearing her black corset over a white t-shirt, along with the skirts from one of her Renaissance Fair dresses. "Why would I want that?" she asked. Without another word, she opened her book again and marched on.

"He has passed through more battles and perils than you have, Ingold, though you be twice his height; and he comes now from the storming of Isengard, of which we bear tidings..." Ruby read. She turned a page...and bumped into someone else.

Ruby looked up and mentally kicked herself. She had bumped into none other than the Queen Bee of Bela Nombre High School herself, Blair Vanderbilt. A stretch-limo-sized verbal slap was inevitably headed her way. Not that she cared what people thought, of course...but being yelled at by Blair had certainly not been in her plans for the day.

"Good morrow, Blair," she said, sticking to her Ren Fair mood. "My apologies. I didn't see you."
Back to top Go down
Kristin Chenoweth

Kristin Chenoweth

The Hallways Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Hallways   The Hallways EmptyMon May 26, 2008 2:57 pm

Blair Vanderbilt

Her musings were interrupted (very rudely and abruptly) by some random girl just bumping into her. Blair put her Ice Queen mask on, her face sufficiently annoyed. She looked at the girl who had just bumped into her. It was that girl who talked funny and dressed weird, like she was in another century or something. Now, Blair enjoyed watching Camelot as much as the next girl, and she had even thrown a Victorian-themed ball once, but this girl definitely took it way, way, waaay too far.

"Good morrow, Blair. My apologies. I didn't see you," the girl - Blair could not remember her name for the life of her - said. Weirdly, of course. She rolled her eyes. Who was this girl, anyway, and who did she think she was, talking to her so casually like that? Blair racked her brain for a name. She was named after some precious stone, wasn't she? Pearl, Aqua, Ruby, something like that? Whatever. It didn't really matter that much. Verbal mini catfights didn't require names, especially when they involved Blair - they were usually over before the other person involved could get so much as a word in. Not that this one seemed like she was up to even trying to fight back.

"If you insist on talking like a medieval serf," she replied in a snotty, mocking tone of voice, "then you should probably address me by my title. So that's Queen B to you, peasant." She smirked, catching a glimpse of the book the weird one was reading. "Oh, how cute," Blair said in a condescending voice. "You're reading that. I think I read that in the third grade already." Blair rolled her eyes, wiping the sarcastic smile off her face. "Maybe if you would get your nose out of the book I read in the third grade, get some clothes from this season, and start talking like someone from this century, you'd actually have some friends." Blair put her condescending smirk back in place. "And maybe you wouldn't bump into people so much, too. But then again, grace can't be obtained so easily."
Back to top Go down
The Phantom of Paris

The Phantom of Paris

The Hallways Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Hallways   The Hallways EmptyMon May 26, 2008 10:55 pm

Ruby Gehringer

Blair's face was a mask of cruelty and annoyance as Ruby apologized. Oh, fantastic. Now this should be interesting.. "If you insist on talking like a medieval serf," Blair said, the definition of cattiness, "then you should probably address me by my title. So that's Queen B to you, peasant." Ruby couldn't resist--she chuckled and rolled her eyes. "Clever, Blair. The daughter of the doctor is a peasant. Nice one. Oh, a thousand pardons--Queen B." She smiled. Maybe this would have repercussions later, but she had to admit this was fun.

Blair craned her neck to get a glimpse of Ruby's book. "Oh, how cute. You're reading that. I think I read that in the third grade already." Ruby snorted. "As did I," she said matter-of-factly. "Do you know how many times I've read this? Just look at it. See? Old, worn, dog-eared--the sign of a well-loved book. This was my mom's when she was a kid and now it's mine. I'm going on my 21st time reading it now, at least. J.R.R. Tolkien is a genius." She crossed her arms over her chest, gripping the beloved novel tightly. She wouldn't put it past Blair to try and steal it...

Blair rolled her eyes. The sarcastic smile vanished from her face. "Maybe if you would get your nose out of the book I read in the third grade, get some clothes from this season, and start talking like someone from this century, you'd actually have some friends. And maybe you wouldn't bump into people so much, too. But then again, grace can't be obtained so easily."

This was too much for Ruby. She tucked Return of the King into her bag and took a step closer, silently cheering the fact that she was an inch or two taller than Blair despite being younger, as it made her more intimidating. At least, she hoped. "Well, so sorry to disappoint, Your Majesty, but I have news for you: I like Lord of the Rings, and the way I talk, and the clothes I wear. Why would I want to change who I am because you told me to? I love my style!" She spun around, smiling and loving the way her skirts twirled and billowed out as she did so. "I'm proud of who I am, okay? Is there a problem with that? As for the other thing you said, I do happen to have friends. Just because they live halfway across the country does not make them nonexistent. If the people here can't accept me for who I am, then they wouldn't make very good friends for me, would they?" She smiled. "Oh, and what makes you say I'm not graceful?" She sank into a deep curtsy.

This is probably the equivalent of social suicide.

But you know what? I don't care.
Back to top Go down
More than Music

More than Music

Location : In your macaroni, warming my feetz. Yeah, I'm small enough.

The Hallways Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Hallways   The Hallways EmptyTue May 27, 2008 2:14 am

OOC: I asked Poppy first! Don't kill me!
BIC:

Keith Dkain

He felt behind. It was getting later, and he still had yet to check out the school. Watching all the students he passed with a suspcious eye - which usually got them to stop whatever trouble they were conjuring - Keith moved along the hallways of the Bela Nombre Highschool.

It wasn't long before two familiar voices caught his attention.

"Oh, how cute. You're reading that. I think I read that in the third grade already."

"Do you know how many times I've read this? Just look at it. See? Old, worn, dog-eared--the sign of a well-loved book. This was my mom's when she was a kid and now it's mine. I'm going on my 21st time reading it now, at least. J.R.R. Tolkien is a genius."

Keith was caught between frowning at Blair's odd way of trying to put herself above others, and smiling at the truth in Ruby's words.

"Maybe if you would get your nose out of the book I read in the third grade, get some clothes from this season, and start talking like someone from this century, you'd actually have some friends. And maybe you wouldn't bump into people so much, too. But then again, grace can't be obtained so easily."

Okay, the frown won. Keith moved closer to the sound.

"Well, so sorry to disappoint, Your Majesty, but I have news for you: I like Lord of the Rings, and the way I talk, and the clothes I wear. Why would I want to change who I am because you told me to? I love my style! I'm proud of who I am, okay? Is there a problem with that? As for the other thing you said, I do happen to have friends. Just because they live halfway across the country does not make them nonexistent. If the people here can't accept me for who I am, then they wouldn't make very good friends for me, would they?" Ruby said, and as Keith saw them, he saw Ruby smile. "Oh, and what makes you say I'm not graceful?"

Keith couldn't help himself. He laughed. "Well, that subject seems very much closed." he said, then met Blair's eyes with a mix of suspicion and supieriority. "Is something wrong here, Miss Gehringer? Miss Vanderbilt?"
Back to top Go down
Kristin Chenoweth

Kristin Chenoweth

The Hallways Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Hallways   The Hallways EmptyTue May 27, 2008 2:40 pm

Blair Vanderbilt

Ruby's 'retorts' were all typically kindergartenish, and it was just plain stupid to say that stuff. Didn't she know that Blair could ruin her - not that there was much to ruin - just like that? Ever since she was in preschool, Blair had always had the power to snap her fingers and watch other people do things for her (aside from when it had something to do with her mother, who was even more intimidating than Blair herself), and this situation was no different.

Poor Ruby. In her world, what she was saying was probably clever. In Blair's world, though, it was not only beyond lame, but also a huge mistake.

After Ruby's last lame retort, she heard the annoyingly familiar (why did he always have to turn up everywhere? It was practically impossible to have any fun) voice of Mr. Keith Dkain say, ""Well, that subject seems very much closed." He met Blair's eyes with a serious, suspicious look, which she returned with her signature smile. ""Is something wrong here, Miss Gehringer? Miss Vanderbilt?"

Blair smiled again, reverting to suck up!Audrey mode. "Oh, nothing at all. I was just leaving." She adjusted the strap of her orange pigskin Hermes Birkin bag. "I'll see you around, Mr. Dkain. Bye, Ruby." She shot Ruby another condescending smirk, turning her head so Ruby had full view of it and Mr. Dkain had a full view of the back of her head. She walked away, her Ice Queen demeanor in place.

As she moved out of earshot of Mr. Dkain, she turned to one of her lackeys, always ready, and whispered, "That Ruby girl? Really weird, dresses in Victorian clothes, right over there? New leper. Tell everyone."

Her lackey nodded and smiled. She snapped open her phone, no doubt to text everyone she knew to inform them about Ruby's new official status. "Done," she said. "Literally."

"Come on, guys," she said in a breezy tone of voice, snapping for her posse, who had no doubt left to lunchroom to find her, to surround her. "Let's go." She strode confidently to the lunchroom again, posse surrounding her at all sides.

Blair has left the Hallway.
Back to top Go down
The Phantom of Paris

The Phantom of Paris

The Hallways Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Hallways   The Hallways EmptyWed May 28, 2008 4:26 am

Ruby Gehringer

Ruby's confidence wavered a bit as she waited for Blair to reply. She stood up (gracefully, of course) from her curtsy and kept a cool smile on her face. Blair said nothing, however, for Keith Dkain had just appeared. He laughed, and Ruby turned and greeted him. "Well, that subject seems very much closed," he said. He greeted Blair with a suspicious look, but she only smiled her sweet, innocent (Ha!) smile in return. "Is something wrong here, Miss Gehringer? Miss Vanderbilt?" Keith asked.

Ruby opened her mouth, but Blair cut her off. "Oh, nothing at all. I was just leaving. I'll see you around, Mr. Dkain. Bye, Ruby." She turned to go, smirking at Ruby once again and left, spying one of her 'friends' and strolling over to her. "That Ruby girl? Really weird, dresses in Victorian clothes, right over there?" Blair whispered faintly, loud enough for Ruby to just barely hear it. Ruby rolled her eyes and turned away.

"Well, that was....faintly enjoyable," she said with a slight smile. "I know that's going to have some epic repercussions later, but I'm so sick of Blair thinking that's she's up on a pedestal and can tell us what to do, how to act, how to dress..." she shook her head. "I hate to rely on an old cliche, but...high school sucks."
Back to top Go down
More than Music

More than Music

The Hallways Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Hallways   The Hallways EmptyWed May 28, 2008 1:37 pm

Keith Dkain

Blair, as usual, seemed bothered by his prescence, though most people wouldn't have noticed it.

"Oh, nothing at all. I was just leaving. I'll see you around, Mr. Dkain. Bye, Ruby." Blair replied, smiling the sort of innocent smile that only people who are trying to impress do. Keith raised an eyebrow, still frowning, but said nothing but 'surely' under his breath as she walked away.

Keith heard some whispering, but ignored it, for the look on Ruby's face. She rolled her eyes. "Well, that was....faintly enjoyable," she told him, smiling slightly. Keith smiled back at her. "I know that's going to have some epic
repercussions later, but I'm so sick of Blair thinking that's she's up
on a pedestal and can tell us what to do, how to act, how to dress..."
Keith frowned again, his expression saying 'I know'. "I hate to rely on an old cliche, but...high school
sucks."

"I know that well." Keith told her, clasping his hands behind his back. "In fact... I shall admit to you that it was highschool pressure that convinced me to join the police force."
Back to top Go down
The Phantom of Paris

The Phantom of Paris

The Hallways Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Hallways   The Hallways EmptyThu May 29, 2008 6:03 am

Ruby Gehringer

Keith returned her smile after she explained her short temper with Blair's actions, ending with simply saying that high school sucked. Keith frowned a bit. "I know that well," he told her. Ruby nodded. "I think everyone does."

"In fact... I shall admit to you that it was highschool pressure that convinced me to join the police force."

Ruby's eyes widened. "Are you serious? Wow...I would never have pegged you as the type to give into peer pressure...even for something like that." She tilted her head to one side and contemplated this new bit of information. It seemed pretty unbelievable, that was for sure. "But it turned out for the best, didn't it? I mean, you love your job...or if you don't, you're very good at putting on a facade for people, because you look like you enjoy it. Either way, you're great at what you do..." she looked around for a moment, wondering if Blair and her posse were poised to strike. They weren't.

"So...what happened, if you don't mind me asking?"
Back to top Go down
More than Music

More than Music

The Hallways Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Hallways   The Hallways EmptyThu May 29, 2008 10:44 am

Keith Dkain

Keith smiled as Ruby's eyes widened incredibly. "Are you serious? Wow...I would never have pegged you as the type to give into peer pressure...even for something like that." she said, tilting her head to the side a bit.

Shaking his head, Keith turned a bit. "It wasn't me that gave in." he told her, then met her eyes, the memories of his friend flooding into them as small tears that almost broke free. He cleared his throat, blinking his eyes until they went away.

"But it turned out for the best, didn't it? I mean, you love your job...or if you don't, you're very good at putting on facade for people, because you look like you enjoy it. Either way, you're great at what you do..." she told him, and Keith chuckled.

"It did turn out for the best. I do love my job. I feel as if I do good... and I hear it is true. It a dangerous job, but is well worth it all." he replied, calmly.

"So...what happened, if you don't mind me asking?" Ruby asked, her voice inquiring. Keith swallowed hard, trying to escape the fear.

"You do not know what you ask... and for that, I shall neither blame you nor withhold the information you desire." he said, motioning away. He took Ruby away from most of the hussle. "My friend, Timothy. He... he fell in love withthe school's queen. Driven crazy by how everyone said that 'a loser could never deserve her', he..." Keith swallowed before continuing. "He killed himself, in front of me."

Shaking his head, Keith met Ruby's eyes again. "I wanted to fix him. That was why I was there. But I could not fix him... not with the meager abilities and little power I possessed... So I strived to attain that ability." He straightened. "And, as I may say, I have."
Back to top Go down
The Phantom of Paris

The Phantom of Paris

The Hallways Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Hallways   The Hallways EmptyFri May 30, 2008 3:58 am

Ruby Gehringer

"It wasn't me that gave in." Keith looked sad and uncomfortable as he said these words, and he looked away for a moment before going on. As he talked, Ruby began to become concerned. Another look into his eyes and she mentally kicked herself for even mentioning it in the first place. Why must I always be so nosy? Why can't I ever just let things alone?!

Trying to make amends, Ruby mentioned that perhaps the whole affair had turned out for the best--after all, it was evident that Keith liked his job as the Bela Nombre sheriff and was darn good at it, too. He laughed a bit and Ruby felt some of her guilt at broaching the subject ebbing away. "It did turn out for the best. I do love my job. I feel as if I do good... and I hear it is true. It a dangerous job, but is well worth it all." Ruby nodded and smiled. "Maybe it's not so bad then." The next sentence was out of her mouth before she could stop it..."So...what happened, if you don't mind me asking?"

Immediately the forlorn look was back. "You do not know what you ask... and for that, I shall neither blame you nor withhold the information you desire." He gestured that they should go somewhere where they would not be overheard, and Ruby followed him to a more deserted area. "My friend, Timothy. He... he fell in love withthe school's queen. Driven crazy by how everyone said that 'a loser could never deserve her', he..." He swallowed, mustering up the courage to continue. Ruby's eyes were wide with concern again. Now, who does THAT sound like? One of these days, the loser will win...hopefully it happens soon. What happened, anyway?

"He killed himself, in front of me."

Ruby couldn't help it--she gasped out loud. "Oh my lord..." she murmured. "I---I didn't know..." she looked sadly up at Keith. IDIOT! Ruby Marie Gehringer, you are never to speak again. Ever. Get it? Got it? Good! NOW what do I do? The poor guy...

Keith was still speaking. "I wanted to fix him. That was why I was there. But I could not fix him... not with the meager abilities and little power I possessed... So I strived to attain that ability. And, as I may say, I have."

This is...how can I not have known this already? This is...wow. What should I do? Would it be weird to give him a hug? Probably...I just need to shut up.

Timidly, she said, "I'm so, so sorry...I didn't know. I shouldn't have brought this up in the first place..." Gently, she took his hand briefly, giving it a squeeze before releasing it. "I'm sorry..." she looked up shyly before adding, "And I think you're right, by the way. You have succeeded."
Back to top Go down
More than Music

More than Music

The Hallways Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Hallways   The Hallways EmptyMon Jun 02, 2008 7:29 am

Keith Dkain

"Oh my lord... I---I didn't know..."

"I wouldn't have expected you to. I'm glad you didn't." Keith told her, then sighed. "I wanted to fix him. That was why I was there. But I could not fix him... not with the meager abilities and little power I possessed." He met her eyes. "So I strived to attain that ability. And, as I may say, I have." He straightened, actually a bit proud of what he had become. It was more than he had ever been for Timothy, and he only wished he could have had a second chance, for the boy's sake.

"I'm so, so sorry...I didn't know. I shouldn't have brought this up in the first place..." Ruby said, her voice quiet and worried now. He sighed again.

"I understand that you did." he whispered. He felt her hand wrap around his, tightening the grip on it for just a moment before moving away. Keith felt strangely lightened by that.

"I'm sorry... And I think you're right, by the way. You have succeeded." she told him. Keith met her eyes, a bit of hope in him.

"Thank you, Ruby. You have no idea how much that means to me." he said, moving closer to her. He took her face in his hands, so that they were closer. "Don't be sorry. I knew that keeping to myself would make some people curious. You are not wrong for wanting to know. You're a good girl, Ruby, and you asked because you were worried. I understand that." He heard a sudden sound, making him jump backwards. "Ah... well..." He smiled at her. "You are a wonderful person. I feel that people do not tell you that often enough, because they are jealous of how wonderful you are." Sending her a wink, he moved back to where he had been standing before. "People tend to put others down because they want to be higher than everyone else. Don't worry. Keep on what you're doing, not letting them bother you. It doesn't matter what they think."

He sighed. "I know that you already are aware of that, but... I know for a fact that it feels better to be cheered on by someone. It does." Then he thought about something, meeting Ruby's eyes very squarely. "And I wasn't talking about Blair just now. She is more of a special case than even she will admit, and certainly not in the way that everyone thinks. She needs someone to trust, because everyone she has trusted so far has either abandoned her or betrayed her. It is absolutely forgiveable, and you should give her that much, alright?"
Back to top Go down
The Phantom of Paris

The Phantom of Paris

The Hallways Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Hallways   The Hallways EmptySat Jun 07, 2008 3:49 am

Ruby Gehringer

The emotion that Keith's story had stirred in the both of them was evident as he said, "Thank you, Ruby. You have no idea how much that means to me." I think I do, actually, she thought to herself as he moved closer to her and took her face into his hands, much like Ruby's father had done often when she was younger. "Don't be sorry. I knew that keeping to myself would make some people curious. You are not wrong for wanting to know. You're a good girl, Ruby, and you asked because you were worried. I understand that." Ruby nodded and smiled as Keith moved back to his original position. "Well, sometimes I'm too curious for my own good. This was feeling like one of those times." She chuckled slightly. "I'm just glad you're not angry at me for prying. I know a lot of people who would be."

Keith returned her smile. "You are a wonderful person. I feel that people do not tell you that often enough, because they are jealous of how wonderful you are." Ruby felt a bit embarrassed by his comment but grinned wider and thanked him. You know, I really misjudged him--we all did. Oh, yeah, we all liked him, but we all thought there was something strange about him, the way he kept to himself all the time...but we never knew. We never knew the reason why.

Keith gave her a friendly wink. "People tend to put others down because they want to be higher than everyone else. Don't worry. Keep on what you're doing, not letting them bother you. It doesn't matter what they think." Ruby nodded slowly, but her mind was churning with comments about what he had just said. She knew his words were true, but she had heard them from the lips of almost every adult she had ever met.

Keith sighed. "I know that you already are aware of that, but..." Ruby almost burst out laughing. Woah, Keith, mind-reading much? "I know for a fact that it feels better to be cheered on by someone. It does." Ruby felt another grin coming over her face. "It does. It really does," she said earnestly.

Keith's next words surprised her a bit. "And I wasn't talking about Blair just now. She is more of a special case than even she will admit, and certainly not in the way that everyone thinks. She needs someone to trust, because everyone she has trusted so far has either abandoned her or betrayed her. It is absolutely forgiveable, and you should give her that much, alright?"

Ruby thought for a moment. "Yes, I think you're right. The whole 'walk a mile in another's shoes' thing, right? I get it. Blair might have more friends than me, but...I think I'm turning out better in the long run. I like my life. I'm comfortable with who I am...and I think that's what she doesn't like about me." She looked up at Keith thoughtfully. "But just because she treats me a certain way doesn't mean I have to do the same. I can rise above this. I just have to be myself and take this one day at a time. Right?"
Back to top Go down
AvantGarde
Admin
AvantGarde

The Hallways Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Hallways   The Hallways EmptySat Jul 12, 2008 4:43 am

Oliver Vandrose

His head thunked against the wall behind him once, twice, three times before he let it rest there. There was a cold red locker directly to his right, which offered some sense of protection and privacy, but to his left was a corner, leaving him open to anyone coming from that side. He closed his eyes, his shoulders sinking down an inch or two along the wall. If only he could remain, undisturbed, right here until it was time to leave. If only he could wrap himself in a bubble of silence, one that even Blair Vanderbilt couldn't puncure. Then things would be alright.

He straightened up when he heard footsteps coming down the hall from his left; He propped his book open on his arm and pretended to review the notes he had taken, as he might have before class. Surely it wouldn't draw suspicion. A plain-looking blonde girl that Oliver vaguely recognized from English class breezed past, her cellphone hidden inside her palm as she tapped away on the keys with her other hand. She barely looked up as she navigated the halls, and she was gone in a matter of moments.

He breathed a small sigh of relief - relief that she hadn't stopped to chat, that she wasn't Blair - and closed the book, tucking it under his arm. At least his desire for peace and quiet was being granted. For now, at least.
Back to top Go down
humptydumpty

The Hallways Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Hallways   The Hallways EmptySat Jul 12, 2008 11:32 am

Nathaniel "Nate" Grant

He'd done some research about Blair - a background check of sorts - and she was more and more appealing to him the more he heard about her. She was not only drop-dead gorgeous, but could sing, act, and dance, and she had a 4.0 GPA and was captain of the tennis team. She had gotten into Yale, early decision. She was apparently really bitchy, but she hadn't seemed like it when he had spoken to her, and he could handle bitchiness.

He'd done some research about Oliver, the guy she'd mentioned, too - he did really well in school, but, other than that, he didn't know much about him, other than that he deflected attention from himself whenever possible and had embarrassed Blair in the courtyard that day. Nate wondered what she saw in him - certainly he would never do that.

When he saw Oliver, he didn't know whether it was good or bad luck. But he took the chance anyway and approached him. "Hey," he said. "I'm new here. Nathaniel Grant," he said unnecessarily - from what he'd heard, the school had been buzzing about him that day (Bela Nombre didn't get many newcomers, and also Nate had charmed Blair and was good-looking. Poof. Instant popularity) - and holding out his hand. "People mostly call me Nate, though. And you're Oliver, right?"

"So I've heard you know Blair," he said. "She's some girl," he said, remembering her sexy little smile, "isn't she?"
Back to top Go down
AvantGarde
Admin
AvantGarde

The Hallways Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Hallways   The Hallways EmptySun Jul 13, 2008 3:35 am

Oliver Vandrose

His eyes snapped open a moment before the guy approached. Oliver did a quick study; he wasnt' familiar at all, which meant one thing. This was the new guy the rest of the school had been buzzing about all day. Some rich kid, fresh from boarding school. Oliver wondered, quite frankly, why he didn't just stay there.

"Hey," he said, and Oliver pushed himself away from the wall. "I'm new here. Nathaniel Grant," he added, before sticking out a hand. Oliver shook it as he continued to say, "People mostly call me Nate, though. And you're Oliver, right?"

He stiffened, and then pulled his hand away. "Yeah, Oliver Vandrose," he said, his voice low. He supposed it wasn't that difficult to figure out who he was - deductive reasoning, or he'd witnessed the scene in the courtyard this morning. But it still put him on edge, someone unfamiliar regarding him casually.

"So I've heard you know Blair," he said. Oliver grimaced; Nate had witnessed the courtyard fiasco, as surely as Oliver had taken part in it. "She's some girl, isn't she?"

Oliver offered a wry smile. "What's that saying. . . ah, the most poisonous of flowers are usually the most beautiful?" He gave his head the smallest of shakes. "It's a wonder any of us have survived this long."
Back to top Go down
humptydumpty

The Hallways Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Hallways   The Hallways EmptySun Jul 13, 2008 8:52 pm

Nathaniel "Nate" Grant

In response to his question about Blair - Nate listened with a lot of interest to this response; it would tell him a lot about Blair and Oliver's feelings for her - Oliver said, "What's that saying. . . ah, the most poisonous of flowers are usually the most beautiful? It's a wonder any of us have survived that long."

Nate was a little confused, although he hid it pretty well. Or maybe he was just a little more stoned than usual. Either way, he didn't get the poison comment. He'd heard Blair was a huge bitch - not that that turned him off; actually, it sort of turned him on, since he'd heard that bitches were really crazy in bed - which explained the poison comment, but he'd thought Oliver was into her. Or maybe he was only in it to bag Blair. Part of him was like, How could he just be in it to get her in the sack? That's so wrong, but then another part responded with, You're sort of doing the same thing. So it was fair game, he supposed. Only he really sort of liked her. Granted, he'd only spent about two minutes with her, but she'd really drawn him in. He thought he might have had a crush on her - record time for him.

"I dunno," he said. "I think there's more to her than that." True. He did think her eyes looked sad, sort of. Or, again, maybe he was just a little more stoned than usual. "Either way, you should just stay away from her. Or else you'll have me to answer to. Blair deserves someone with status. Access. Social graces. And from what I've heard, you have zero out of three." Nate smiled patronizingly. "Nice meeting you," he said sarcastically and left, the whispers that were the mark of a popular person following him.

He decided he liked this school.

Nate has left the Hallway.
Back to top Go down
AvantGarde
Admin
AvantGarde

The Hallways Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Hallways   The Hallways EmptyMon Jul 14, 2008 1:44 am

Oliver Vandrose

Nate seemed to think Oliver's response over for a moment, and Oliver took advantage of the silence. He doubted Nate had spoken to Blair for more than a couple of minutes, but he already seemed to be suckered. Nate finally answered.

"I dunno," he said. "I think there's more to her than that." Oliver sighed, and his sight focused on a nondescript place above Nate's head. "Either way, you should just stay away from her. Or else you'll have me to answer to. Blair deserves someone with status. Access. Social graces. And from what I've heard, you have zero out of three."

Oliver's eyes snapped back to Nate's; Nate was smirking. "You think I'm opposition?" he said, his voice low, quiet, bordering on a growl. What lies were Blair telling him? "You thought wrong. I don't want anything to do with Blair, not like that." He wanted to add that the tone Nate was using didn't exactly qualify as social graces, but figured that could be used both ways.

Nate offered a patronizing smile, and said, "Nice meeting you." Oliver watched him retreat down the hall.

"And you as well, Grant," he muttered, before turning and seeking refuge back the way he'd come. The bell had already rung, and he should have been in Calculus. Instead he headed towards the doors that led to the little grassy knoll behind the cafeteria, seeking refuge from the hallways and cage-like walls of BNHS.

Oliver has left the hallway.
Back to top Go down
More than Music

More than Music

The Hallways Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Hallways   The Hallways EmptySat Aug 02, 2008 9:55 am

The Phantom of Paris wrote:
Ruby Gehringer

The emotion that Keith's story had stirred in the both of them was evident as he said, "Thank you, Ruby. You have no idea how much that means to me." I think I do, actually, she thought to herself as he moved closer to her and took her face into his hands, much like Ruby's father had done often when she was younger. "Don't be sorry. I knew that keeping to myself would make some people curious. You are not wrong for wanting to know. You're a good girl, Ruby, and you asked because you were worried. I understand that." Ruby nodded and smiled as Keith moved back to his original position. "Well, sometimes I'm too curious for my own good. This was feeling like one of those times." She chuckled slightly. "I'm just glad you're not angry at me for prying. I know a lot of people who would be."

Keith returned her smile. "You are a wonderful person. I feel that people do not tell you that often enough, because they are jealous of how wonderful you are." Ruby felt a bit embarrassed by his comment but grinned wider and thanked him. You know, I really misjudged him--we all did. Oh, yeah, we all liked him, but we all thought there was something strange about him, the way he kept to himself all the time...but we never knew. We never knew the reason why.

Keith gave her a friendly wink. "People tend to put others down because they want to be higher than everyone else. Don't worry. Keep on what you're doing, not letting them bother you. It doesn't matter what they think." Ruby nodded slowly, but her mind was churning with comments about what he had just said. She knew his words were true, but she had heard them from the lips of almost every adult she had ever met.

Keith sighed. "I know that you already are aware of that, but..." Ruby almost burst out laughing. Woah, Keith, mind-reading much? "I know for a fact that it feels better to be cheered on by someone. It does." Ruby felt another grin coming over her face. "It does. It really does," she said earnestly.

Keith's next words surprised her a bit. "And I wasn't talking about Blair just now. She is more of a special case than even she will admit, and certainly not in the way that everyone thinks. She needs someone to trust, because everyone she has trusted so far has either abandoned her or betrayed her. It is absolutely forgiveable, and you should give her that much, alright?"

Ruby thought for a moment. "Yes, I think you're right. The whole 'walk a mile in another's shoes' thing, right? I get it. Blair might have more friends than me, but...I think I'm turning out better in the long run. I like my life. I'm comfortable with who I am...and I think that's what she doesn't like about me." She looked up at Keith thoughtfully. "But just because she treats me a certain way doesn't mean I have to do the same. I can rise above this. I just have to be myself and take this one day at a time. Right?"

Keith Dkain

"Well, sometimes I'm too curious for my own good. This was feeling like
one of those times. I'm just glad you're not
angry at me for prying. I know a lot of people who would be."
she said.

Keith smiled slightly. "I'm not angry with you." he replied. "You are a wonderful person. I feel that people do not tell you that often enough, because they are jealous of how wonderful you are." He continued on some more, and Ruby was luckily listening well, taking it all in. He sighed. "I know that you are aware of that, but... I know for a fact that it feels better to be cheered on by someon. It does."

Ruby smiled once more "It does. It really does." she said, her voice calm and honest. He mentioned some things on Blair, voicing his opinions of her, though he did not understand as much as he wished. Ruby was silent for a moment. "Yes, I think you're right. The whole 'walk a
mile in another's shoes' thing, right? I get it. Blair might have more
friends than me, but...I think I'm turning out better in the long run.
I like my life. I'm comfortable with who I am...and I think that's what
she doesn't like about me."

Keith smiled sadly. "Well, be sure that you keep that attitude positive... don't let it seem like you trying to get her back, if you can." he said, his hands going into his pockets softly.

"But
just because she treats me a certain way doesn't mean I have to do the
same. I can rise above this. I just have to be myself and take this one
day at a time. Right?"

He nodded. "Right. She is stressed, and is doing what she is for her own reasons. Certainly stay strong in your opinions, as you have, but remember that she has opinions of her own, and they are just as strong as yours." he said, trying to explain what he wanted to help her with. He sighed, sitting down with his back against a tree, a smile coming onto his face. "You have anything else you want to talk about? I'm here for you, Ruby, and you can talk to me about anything."
Back to top Go down
The Phantom of Paris

The Phantom of Paris

The Hallways Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Hallways   The Hallways EmptyFri Oct 31, 2008 7:51 am

Ruby Gehringer

"Well, be sure that you keep that attitude positive... don't let it seem like you trying to get her back, if you can," Keith said. Ruby nodded. "I won't--that's not what I want, anyway. Sure, she was awful to me...But
just because she treats me a certain way doesn't mean I have to do the
same. I can rise above this. I just have to be myself and take this one
day at a time. Right?"

Keith nodded. "Right. She is stressed, and is doing what she is for her own reasons. Certainly stay strong in your opinions, as you have, but remember that she has opinions of her own, and they are just as strong as yours." He's right, even if it's hard to admit it.

"You have anything else you want to talk about? I'm here for you, Ruby, and you can talk to me about anything."

Ruby smiled at her father's friend. "I know you are, and I'm grateful for that. But off the top of my head, I can't think of anything that's really bothering me right now...but I know who to come to if there is." She was about to say more when the bell rang, signaling the start of the next class.

She jumped. "Sorry to have to rush off like this, Keith, but if I'm late for English one more time Mrs. Rowe will eat my soul for breakfast. Not that she doesn't want to do that anyway--she doesn't like me, for reasons beyond my control...but I don't want to do anything that will make her unexplainable animosity worse. So, I must be off now--but thanks for talking with me! You've really helped. A lot." She grinned and gave him a quick hug before rushing away.

Ruby has left the hallways
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

The Hallways Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Hallways   The Hallways Empty

Back to top Go down

The Hallways
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Bela Nombre :: Bela Nombre High School-
Jump to: